Are you searching for a fun, easy, and engaging art project to do with your kids? Then we have just the thing for you! Whether your child is a budding young artist or an avid Pokémon fan – or both – we have a delightful activity that will not only inspire creativity but also promise heaps of fun for everyone. Let’s learn how to draw Pikachu, from Pokemon.
In today’s blog post, we’re super excited to guide you through a simple, step-by-step tutorial on how to draw the most recognizable and adored Pokémon of them all – Pikachu!
Don’t worry if you’re new to drawing; we’ve designed this tutorial to be accessible for artists of all levels, even younger kids can give it a try.
With just six easy-to-follow steps, your child will be able to create their very own masterpiece of this iconic character, transforming a blank piece of paper into a joyful Pikachu, brimming with personality and charm.
And we’ve created a handy PDF printable version of the tutorial for easy printing so that you and your little ones can comfortably pace your drawing session and refer to the steps at the drawing table or out and about, ensuring the artistic journey is as enjoyable as the finished product. Download this PDF file at the end of this blog post.
Get your pencils, papers, and erasers ready! We’re about to embark on a fun-filled artistic journey, immersing ourselves in the delightful world of Pokémon and the joy of creating. So, gather your young Picassos around the table and let’s bring Pikachu to life in a flurry of lines, shapes, and colors. Let’s draw, create, and above all – have fun together!
Unleash your inner artist with this simple, 6-step tutorial on how to draw everyone's favorite Pokémon, Pikachu.
This easy how to draw Pikachu guide for kids will walk you through drawing Pikachu's face and body, adding details like ears and the iconic lightning tail, creating Pikachu's adorable facial features, and finally, coloring your masterpiece.
It's perfect for budding artists and Pokémon fans of all ages. Enjoy a fun-filled art session and let your creativity shine!
- Black marker or sharpie pen
- Yellow and red crayons, coloring pencils or felt tip pens
- (optional) Printer
- Draw the face shape: Begin by drawing a big rounded shape which will form Pikachu's round face. Remember, it doesn't have to be a perfect circle - refer to the picture here as a guide; after all, Pikachu is loved for his cute, chubby cheeks, so you need to make this shape wider at the bottom
- Add body and feet: Below the face, draw a smaller U-shape for Pikachu's body. Ensure the body's width is a bit narrower than the face. Then, for the feet, sketch two smaller shapes at the bottom of the body..
- Add arms and ears: On either side of the body, draw two small shapes for Pikachu's arms, pointing upwards, and add a zig zaggy line at the end of each arm for his hands. For the ears, on the top of Pikachu's head, draw two long, narrow triangles, slightly bent at about two-thirds of the way up to give that unique Pikachu ear shape.
- Add the lightning tail and the lines at the top of the ears: Next, to Pikachu's body, sketch out a zig-zagging lightning bolt shape for Pikachu's tail. It should look like a long, jagged 'Z'. Also, don't forget to draw two lines at the top of each ear to represent the black tips.
- Make the face with Pikachu's famous red cheeks, eyes, and a little nose and mouth: This is where Pikachu truly comes to life! For the eyes, draw two large circles with the black marker. Just above the center between the eyes, sketch a small, upside-down triangle for Pikachu's nose. Below the nose, draw two little curved lines for Pikachu's smiling mouth. Finally, on both sides of the face, right underneath the eyes, draw two big circles for Pikachu's trademark rosy cheeks.
- Outline everything in black marker then color in Pikachu with yellow and red: Once you're happy with your sketch, trace over it with a black marker to make the lines bold and clear. Let the ink dry completely to avoid smudging. Now, it's coloring time! Fill in Pikachu's body, face, ears, and tail with a sunny yellow. For Pikachu's cheeks, use a warm red color. Don't forget to color the tips of Pikachu's ears and the end of his tail in dark brown or black.
If you would like a paper copy, download and print the free PDF file below.
And there you have it! Your child has successfully drawn their very own Pikachu! This fun and easy tutorial is a great way to spark creativity, improve drawing skills, and of course, share a wonderful bonding moment with your kids. Enjoy drawing and coloring!
Download How to Draw Pokemon PDF
This PDF file contains the how to draw Pikachu sheet, and a few of his friends too – bonus! So print it out and get busy creating 6 different Pokemon characters today.
More Pokemon Fun
- 8 Pokemon Color by Number Coloring Pages for Kids
- 7 Tips for Getting Your Kids into Pokémon
- Pokemon Pumpkin Ideas: How to Make a No Carve Pikachu Pumpkin
Please go ahead and share this blog post with friends and family so everyone can have fun drawing Pikachu. If you are proud of your finished Pikachu drawing, tag us on social media so we can see!
Anna Marikar, mum of four and seasoned blogger, has spent over a decade sharing her parenting journey and passion for kid-friendly crafts and free printables.
Her easy-to-follow craft ideas and practical parenting advice have transformed In The Playroom into a cherished resource for parents.