Cherries and chocolate make the perfect combination. Black forest gateau was always my favourite as a kid, and now I’m enjoying the festive black forest hot chocolate drinks at my favourite coffee shops this Christmas. If you want to recreate that delicious cherry chocolate flavour at home why not try out this yummy cherry chocolate cake recipe made using a combination of Cherry Good products and fresh cherries. This dessert recipe would be great for entertaining over the festive period, or at any time of year!
Indulge in this Cherry Chocolate Cake
The perfect pairing of cherries and chocolate combine in this rich, delicious dessert recipe.
For the cherry chocolate cake:
- 200g dark chocolate, 70%
- 200g butter, cut into pieces
- 100 ml Cherry Good Original
- 85g self-raising flour
- 85g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g light muscavado sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
For the cherry filling:
- 1 cup cherries, stoned – keep a few whole for decoration
- ½ cup Cherry Good Original
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream
- Icing sugar to decorate
How to make the Cherry Chocolate Cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degress / fan 150 degrees
- Melt the chocolate by break your chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl over a pan of boiling water along with the butter. Stir with a wooden spoon to keep the consistency smooth.
- Once completely melted, take off the heat and add the Cherry Good Original, flour (both plain and self-raising), beaten eggs, bicarbonate of soda and sugar (both caster and muscavado) and mix well until you have a smooth batter.
- Take two cake tins, lined with baking paper, and pour the batter equally between the two tins. Place in the hot oven.
- Bake for around 40 minutes, checking with a skewer before removing. If the skewer comes out clean, you can take your cake out of the oven to cool.
- To make the filling, place the stoned cherries, brown sugar and Cherry Good Original in a pan and let the mixture simmer for around 30 mins, stirring occasionally until the liquid reduces to a syrupy texture.
- Once your cake has cooled, take the base and cover it with the cherry filling. Top this with a generous helping of whipped cream and place the other cake layer on top.
- To finish, dust the cake with icing sugar and garnish with a couple of whole cherries.
For more recipe ideas, follow our Pinterest board:
You might also like these cake recipes:
- 100+ kids cake decorating ideas
- Valentines Pink Heart Shape Cupcakes
- Vegan Vanilla Frosted Plum Cupcakes
- Elderflower Fairy Cakes
- Easy Birthday Cake Recipes
- Easy No Bake Train Cake
Recipe and Image: Cherry Good
Anna Marikar, mum of four and seasoned blogger, has spent over a decade sharing her parenting journey and passion for kid-friendly crafts and free printables.
Her easy-to-follow craft ideas and practical parenting advice have transformed In The Playroom into a cherished resource for parents.