Stork celebrates Prince George’s 2nd birthday today by teaming up with ‘The Pink Whisk’ blogger Ruth Clemens to re-create the little Prince’s iconic boat outfit in birthday cake form. This cake is super cute, and would be lovely for any little boys birthday, so I’m happy to share it with you all today – and wish a happy birthday to the little prince!
For the Cake
250g caster sugar
4 eggs, large
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
6 tbsps strawberry jam
200g light blue ready to roll icing
Skewer, paper and scissors
Oven Temp: 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4
Makes: 1 x 8” round boat cake
Freezing: Cake is suitable for freezing undecorated.
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Method for the Boat Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease 2 x 8” sandwich cake tins well and line the bases with a circle of non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together until the cake mixture is even and well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
- Place the cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Sandwich together the cakes with half of the jam. Spread the remaining jam onto the top of the cake.
- Roll out a circle of light blue ready to roll icing on the work surface very lightly dusted with icing sugar – slightly larger than the top of the cake. Lift it into position on the top of the cake. Allow the extra to hang over the side of the cake and shape it into ripples gently with your fingertips.
- Cut out simple shapes for the boat and sails and secure to a skewer. Insert into the centre of the cake.
More Cake Ideas
More Royal Inspiration
Follow our Pinterest board to find more cake recipes
And don’t forget to pin this gorgeous boat cake for later
Anna Marikar, mum of four and seasoned blogger, has spent over a decade sharing her parenting journey and passion for kid-friendly crafts and free printables.
Her easy-to-follow craft ideas and practical parenting advice have transformed In The Playroom into a cherished resource for parents.