This Love Heart Meringues recipe is a perfect treat for Valentines day. They are sweet to eat, and sweet on the eyes too since they are so cute and pretty!
Love Heart Meringues for Valentine’s Day
Makes: 2 pairs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the Love Heart Meringues
For the meringues
- 60g (2½oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 large egg white, about 30g (1¼oz)
- Squires Kitchen mint green paste food colour
For the filling
- 65ml (2½floz) double cream
- 110g (4oz) jar cherry compôte
- Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Squires Kitchen crystallised natural whole roses
You will also need
- 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper
- a 8cm (3¼”) heart-shaped cutter
- a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
Method : How to make your Love Heart Meringues
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan180°, 400°F, Gas 6.
- Using the cutter, draw 4 heart shapes with a pencil on the 1 of the sheets of parchment paper, spaced apart as the meringues will spread a little.
- Turn the paper over so you don’t get pencil on the undersides of the meringues.
- Tip the sugar onto the remaining baking tray and spread it out in an even layer.
- Warm through on the middle shelf of the oven for about 3-4 minutes or until the sugar feel hot to touch and has lightly coloured, stirring once. Don’t let it caramelize.
- Pour into a small bowl.
- Reduce the oven heat down to its lowest, 110°C/Fan90°C, 225°F, Gas ¼.
- As soon as the sugar is ready, using an electric mixer, add the white to the bowl and whisk at high speed until it is light and foamy, for about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the hot sugar, a dessert spoon at a time, and continue whisking until the mixture has cooled and is very thick and glossy. Scrape down the sides halfway through. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Using a fine skewer or toothpick, add a little of the colouring, briefly whisk again and check that it’s the colour you’d like, if not, add some more.
- Use a little of the meringue to stick down the paper on the baking tray. Spoon the mixture into the piping bag and pipe the heart shapes.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 55-60 minutes. The meringues are ready when they are crisp on the outside and the bases are dry and not at all sticky.
- Turn off the oven and leave them to cool in the oven for a few hours or overnight.
- To assemble, lightly whisk the cream, divide between half of the meringue hearts, spoon on the cherry compôte, then top with the remaining hearts.
- Arrange on plates, lightly dust with Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar, decorate with the crystallised roses and serve.
The meringues can be made up to 2 weeks ahead and stored in an air-tight container.
For more delicious recipes, follow my Kitchen, Baking and Cooking Pinterest Board
You might also like these
- Santa’s Cheese Cakes
- Cherry Chocolate Cake Recipe
- DIY Wrapped Chocolate Gifts
- Easy Jam Tarts to Make With Kids
- Valentines Treats
Thanks to www.tasteandsmile.com for the recipe. Image used with permission.
Anna Marikar, mum of four and seasoned blogger, has spent over a decade sharing her parenting journey and passion for kid-friendly crafts and free printables.
Her easy-to-follow craft ideas and practical parenting advice have transformed In The Playroom into a cherished resource for parents.