There are not many comfort foods that are more comforting than pie. This chicken and leek patchwork pie is warming, filling and comforting for Winter but is also a healthier option – the best of both worlds!
- Preparation time:20 minutes
- Cooking time:50 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
Nutritional Info: Typical values per serving:
Ingredients for the Chicken and Leek Patchwork Pie
- Olive oil spray
- 500g essential Waitrose leeks, sliced
- 400g essential Waitrose British chicken breast chunks
- 250ml Cooks’ Ingredients chicken stock
- 250ml skimmed milk, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp Waitrose easy thickening sauce
- 300g frozen peas
- 300g essential Waitrose frozen broccoli florets, defrosted slightly and cut into smaller pieces
- 30g essential Waitrose reduced fat soft cheese with garlic & herbs
- ½ x 320g pack Jus-Rol light puff pastry sheet
Method: How to make this healthy chicken and leek pie
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Spray a large saucepan with oil and cook the leeks and chicken for 5 minutes until the leeks are softened and the chicken golden.
2. Add the stock and milk, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through with no pink meat. Add the sauce flour to the pan, bring to the boil and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring until smooth and thickened.
3. Stir in the peas, broccoli and soft cheese, then tip into an ovenproof pie dish. Sit the dish on a baking sheet.
4. Cut the pastry into 12 squares and arrange on top of the filling – the pastry should overlap a little in places but not cover the filling completely.
5. Brush the pastry squares with milk
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot.
7. Serve and enjoy!
For more healthy recipes, follow our healthy food board on Pinterest
And don’t forget to pin this recipe for later
You might also like these
Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Stuffed Spicy Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry with Lemongrass
- Warming Chunky Vegetable Soup Recipe
Recipe & Image Credit: With Permission, Waitrose