Summers are known for their vibrantly sunny days, offering the perfect canvas for a wide array of colorful crafts. And the Butterfly Windstock craft is an all-time favorite, particularly among kids. Not only does this craft project encourage creativity and patience in your little ones, but it also serves as a fun and engaging way to make the most out of your time during these summer days.
The beauty of the Rainbow Butterfly Windstock is that it is simple to make, budget-friendly, and the end result is a bright and beautiful decorative piece that kids will love. The project involves transforming everyday items such as toilet paper rolls and felt paper into delightful butterfly-themed windstocks, perfect for hanging on a porch, in a room, or even as a festive decoration for summer parties.
How To Make Your Rainbow Butterfly Windsock
If you're looking for a fun, fuss-free, and fabulous craft for your kiddos this summer, look no further than our delightful Butterfly Windstock. We're taking everyday items we bet you've got lying around the house - think felt paper, toilet paper rolls, and those cheeky googly eyes - and transforming them into a splash of summer color. Your little ones will love creating their own fluttering friend and you'll love the joyful touch it brings to your home decor.
- Felt paper in blue, pink and yellow - or colors of your choice
- Crepe paper in pink and yellow - or colors of your choice
- Pink glitter paper
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Toilet paper roll / Cardboard Tube
- Glue stick
- Gather together your supplies
- Cover the toilet paper roll with the blue felt paper.
- Cut three or four thin strips of yellow felt paper...
- ... then add it to the toilet
paper roll. Make sure to leave space when attaching them.
- Add the googly eyes.
- Add it’s antenna. Use the pipe cleaner / fuzzy wire for this. You can use any color you prefer. Cut the pipe cleaner into
half then fold the half. Then add it to the top of the toilet paper roll.
- Make the wings from the pink felt paper and glitter paper. Start with the basic wing shape then add the glitter sections and assemble the wings. And add it at the back
of the toilet paper roll. Now you can see the butterfly really taking shape.
- Lastly, cut strips of pink and yellow crepe paper and attach it at the bottom of the toilet paper roll.
- And there you have your butterfly windsock!
Benefits of the Craft
If you’ve been looking for a craft that’s more than just fun, our Butterfly Windstock is a fantastic choice. First off, it’s a great way of developing your kiddo’s fine motor skills.
Those little fingers will get a workout cutting, gluing, and putting together their butterfly. Plus, their creativity gets a massive boost as they design a butterfly that’s uniquely theirs.
They’ll be exploring shapes, mixing and matching colors, and getting a feel for different textures. It’s a sensory wonderland!
But wait, there’s more! This craft also doubles up as a fun lesson in sustainability. Using up those pesky toilet paper rolls that seem to multiply when we’re not looking, we’re teaching our kids the importance of reducing waste and finding new uses for old things. How’s that for a win-win?
Make Butterfly Windsocks for Summer
The Butterfly Windstock is the summer craft project you didn’t know you needed. Its vibrant colors are just like a scoop of strawberry ice cream on a hot day – pure joy! Whether you’re sheltering from the midday sun with the AC humming softly or filling a rainy day with indoor fun, this craft fits the bill.
And since summer is when butterflies are flitting about, why not turn this into a fascinating biology lesson? You can chat about the life of butterflies, their life cycle, and how they’re more than just pretty insects fluttering around our gardens. Who said summer isn’t for learning, right?
And as summer turns into fall, why not try making this cute fall leaf butterfly craft with the kids?
More Butterfly Crafts and Activities
Extend the butterfly theme with some of these fun ideas
- Easy Colorful Coffee Filter Butterfly Craft
- Free Printable Butterfly Colouring Pages
- Tissue Paper Butterfly Craft
- Butterfly Cake
Summer Crafts and Activities
- Rainbow Sun Catcher Shadow Art
- Free Printable Cactus Color by Number Pages (Easy)
- Easy Lemonade Craft for Kids
Anna Marikar, mum of four and seasoned blogger, has spent over a decade sharing her parenting journey and passion for kid-friendly crafts and free printables.
Her easy-to-follow craft ideas and practical parenting advice have transformed In The Playroom into a cherished resource for parents.