Everyone loves a bit of novelty food at Christmas, and this chocolate Rudolph cake is one of the cutest that you’ll come across. He has a red bauble for his nose – how adorable is that? Kids will love his chocolatey taste, and fun design.
I have the recipe to share with you today, along with a printable template to help you cut out the antlers to go on top.
For the Cake:
225g Stork with butter
225g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
40g cocoa powder dissolved in
4-5 tablespoons hot water
225g self-raising flour, sieved
For the Chocolate Frosting:
175g Stork with butter
325g icing sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 dessertspoon (10ml) milk
150g dark chocolate chips
1 x red bauble
White ready to roll icing
This is how it’s made
- Place Stork with butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time and then beat in the cocoa mix.
- Fold in the flour and place in two deep, greased and bottom-lined 18cm (7 inch) cake tins. Smooth tops.
- Bake in oven 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 middle shelf, for 45-55 minutes. Transfer from the tins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Roll out a little white ready to roll icing and cut out 2 circles for the eyes, set to one side.
- Reserve 8 chocolate chips for the face decoration and gently melt the remaining. Use a little of the melted chocolate to create pupils in the centres of the eyes and allow to set.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper over the antler template. Spread the remaining melted chocolate thickly with a palette knife to form the antlers and place in the fridge to set.
- To make the frosting beat together the Stork with butter, milk, icing sugar and cocoa powder until evenly combined.
- To assemble trim the domed tops from the cakes if necessary and sandwich together with a layer of chocolate frosting. Coat the sides and top with the remaining frosting using a palette knife.
- Place the red bauble in position for the reindeer’s nose, and press the eyes lightly onto the frosting. Add the reserved chocolate chips to the sides of the reindeers face.
- Lastly take the antlers from the fridge, use a sharp knife to cut 2 slots into the top of the cake and gently set the antlers into position in the slots on the top of the cake.