Owls are really popular these days, and this beautiful Owl chocolate cake would make a great kids birthday cake. It is easy to make using these simple instructions, but looks so effective. Isn’t it cute?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
You will need: 1 x 7” square cake (Make your basic chocolate cake recipe in a 7” square tin)
Basic Chocolate Cake Recipe
110g Stork with butter
150 ml semi-skimmed milk
4 teaspoons lemon juice
220g caster sugar
2 large eggs
175g plain flour, sieved with
1 teaspoon bicarbonate (of soda) and
50g cocoa powder
125g Stork with Butter
220g icing sugar, sieved
100g cocoa powder
1-2 tbsps. milk
Needed for decorations:
50g dark chocolate curls
Dark chocolate crisp shell chocolates (Minstrels)
A large cake board or serving plate.
Method for the owl cake
1. Mix the milk and lemon juice in a jug. Put aside.
2. Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. (approx. 1 ½ min with electric hand mixer).
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in dry ingredients until well blended.
4. Stir in milk to the mix until smooth.
5. Place the mix in a square greased and lined cake tin. Bake on middle shelf of oven 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for about 70 minutes.
6. For the icing beat together the Stork with the icing sugar, and half of the cocoa powder (50g) adding a couple of tablespoons of milk to give a soft spreadable consistency.
7. Trim the domed top from the cake. Add the icing to the cake to create the eyes and the bib of the owl using the cake template
8. Beat the remaining 50g of cocoa powder into the icing to darken it , adding a little more milk if necessary. Use to coat the sides of the cake and to fill in the rest of the owl’s body.
9. Use chocolate curls to create the wings and owls ears.
10. Cut out 2 round circles from white sugarpaste and place into position on the owl eyes. Cut out an orange circle to make a bird beak.
11. Add 2 round chocolates for the pupils of the eyes.
- Frozen Cake Ideas
- Spiderman Cake Ideas
- Pirate Cake Ideas
- Fire Truck Cake Ideas
- Kids Birthday Cake Ideas
- Easy Birthday Cake Recipes
- No Bake Train Cake
- Elderflower fairy cakes
For even more recipes, be sure to follow our Pinterest board, and don’t forget to pin this idea for later.
Owl cake recipe and imagery credit: Stork
Inspiring Britain to bake since 1920, Stork has been a trusted kitchen staple for over 90 years. Loved by eager-to-learn bakers and celebrity chefs, it has established itself as an authority figure on home baking through its tried and trusted credentials. The secret to better baking, Stork is perfect for those who wish to take their time to impress friends and family with their bakes. It can be used straight from the fridge – Stork tub is great for cakes, while Stork block is perfect for pastries. And latest to the range, the NEW Stork with Butter is the best choice for light and fluffy cakes with delicious buttery taste and rich creamy icing. For classic recipes with a modern twist, visit: bakewithstork.com