Piñata Cakes have become so popular over the past couple of years. My children love them, and I can totally see why. Cutting the cake open to reveal the treasure of lots of sweets is such a fun idea, and perfect for kids birthday parties. If you want to make a pinata cake for your child’s birthday, or any special occasion, then here is how.
Makes: 1 x 8” Piñata Cake
Preparation: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
Oven Temp: 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
For the Vanilla Cake
375g Stork with butter
375g caster sugar
2 tsps. vanilla extract/vanilla bean paste or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod
6 eggs, large
375g self raising flour
For the Icing
200g Stork with butter
400g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pastel Chocolate Candy Beans (Smarties) to fill.
Cake confetti sprinkles
Pinata Cake Method:
1. Grease and line the bases of 3 x 8” cake tins. Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
2. Cream together the Stork and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
3. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour and fold in until well blended.
4. Divide the mixture between the 3 tins and bake in the oven for 25-30minutes until golden on top and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Prepare the icing beating together the Stork, icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
6. Level the tops of the 3 cakes using a sharp serrated knife. Cut out the centres of 2 of the cakes with a sharp knife or cookie cutter to create 2 rings. Set the first ring onto a serving plate or cake board and sandwich together with the next ring using a layer of icing.
7. Fill the centre of the ring with chocolate candy beans. Coat the top of the ring with icing and place the full round cake into position.
8. Coat the top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing. Use the tip of a palette knife to create a ridged style in the sides and top of the icing.
9. Decorate with sprinkles and serve.
More Kids Birthday Cakes
- Butterfly Cake
- Owl Cake Step by Step Recipe and Easy Cake Decoration
- 15 Big Hero 6 Cake Ideas
- Frozen Cake Ideas
Follow our Pinterest board for even more
Recipe and image credit: Stork