Butterflies are always a popular theme for kids birthday cakes. They work well for all ages, and can be really easy to make. Here’s a simple butterfly cake recipe made using Stork with butter which is ideal for baking.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
For the vanilla cake:
250g Stork with butter
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
250g self-raising flour, sieved
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
150g Stork with butter
300g icing sugar, sieved
1-2 tablespoons milk
Green sugar paste
Coloured sprinkles (optional)
Method: How to bake and decorate your butterfly cake
1. Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, and then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour until blended.
2. Place mix into a 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined round cake tin. Bake on middle shelf of oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 for about 70 minutes.
3. For the icing, beat the Stork with the icing sugar, adding a little milk for a soft spreadable consistency. Using the cutting guide cut the cake into the four sections as indicated on the template.
4. Coat the top and sides of each piece of cake with the icing.
5. Position the pieces as indicated on the template on a serving plate. Colour remaining icing in complimentary colours for the butterfly decoration. Place the icing into piping bags, and pipe the decoration onto the wings.
6. Decorate with sprinkles
7. To create the butterfly’s body, roll small balls of green sugar paste, slightly tapering in size and slide a piece of spaghetti through the middle of each ball, finishing with a slightly larger ball for the head. Place in position down the middle of the butterfly. Enjoy!
- Owl Cake
- Frozen Cake Ideas
- Spiderman Cake Ideas
- Pirate Cake Ideas
- Fire Truck Cake Ideas
- Kids Birthday Cake Ideas
- Easy Birthday Cake Recipes
- No Bake Train Cake
- Elderflower fairy cakes
For even more recipes, be sure to follow our Pinterest board, and don’t forget to pin this idea for later.
Butterfly cake recipe and imagery credit: Stork
Inspiring Britain to bake since 1920, Stork has been a trusted kitchen staple for over 90 years. Loved by eager-to-learn bakers and celebrity chefs, it has established itself as an authority figure on home baking through its tried and trusted credentials. The secret to better baking, Stork is perfect for those who wish to take their time to impress friends and family with their bakes. It can be used straight from the fridge – Stork tub is great for cakes, while Stork block is perfect for pastries. And latest to the range, the NEW Stork with Butter is the best choice for light and fluffy cakes with delicious buttery taste and rich creamy icing. For classic recipes with a modern twist, visit: bakewithstork.com