World Book Day, or book week in some schools, is just around the corner and normally this includes the task of dressing up for the day in a book character costume. If you’re looking for some more inspiration for this years world book day costume ideas, then hopefully this collection can give you some help.
Many of these ideas are no sew and easy to make, so hopefully you can find something that works with the materials you already have on hand at home. I know I usually end up pulling together a costume at the last minute – so easy is always a good thing!
I’ve rounded up a wide selection of book inspired costumes. Click the link beneath each picture to find out more about how to make each outfit, and to take a look at or buy the relevant book for each one if you would like.
Since the list is pretty long (and picture heavy) I’ll list them all up front here so you can see the ideas at a glance, or scan this if you are looking for something specific.
I hope that we have something for everyone – with book day costume ideas for boys, book day costume ideas for girls, and something to suit all ages.
- Cat in the hat
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Winnie the Witch
- Rainbow Fish
- Fantastic Mr Fox
- Norman the Snail
- Fifi and the Flower Tots
- The Night Pirates
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Octonauts Dashi
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon
- Sherlock Holmes / Detective
- Mermaid – for The Singing Mermaid (or any other Mermaid story!)
- Knight – for King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (or any other Knight story!)
- Pirate – for “The Troll” (or any other Pirate story!)
- Jack and the Beanstalk
- The Paper Bag Princess
- Rapunzel (x2)
- Alice in Wonderland
- The White Rabbit
- The Mad Hatter
- The Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka
- Mr Strong from the Mr Men
- Angelina Ballerina
- The Lorax
- Peter Pan
- Tick Tock Croc from Peter Pan
- Pippi Longstocking
- Knuffle Bunny
- Winnie the Pooh
- Tigger from Winnie the Pooh
- Skeletons from Funny Bones
- Glenda from The Wizard of Oz
- The Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz
- Tin Tin
- Flower Fairy
- Butterfly – from Everybody Loves Butterflies or any other Butterfly book
- Little Bo Peep & Her Sheep
And now, take a look through at all the fantastic costumes in pictures!
Rapunzel (another version) : See diy head band
(Photo courtesy of Stephanie Marie Photography)
Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland : See DIY top hat tutorial
Tick tock croc from Peter Pan: See home made costume / see book (this site also has lots more Peter pan ideas like Wendy or hook)
I hope these World Book day costume ideas have been helpful for your World Book Day or Book Week plans!
If you have made a costume that you’re really proud of, come over and share your pictures on the In The Playroom Facebook page. We’d love to feature you!
More Book Week Suggestions
- 135 Book Recommendations for Toddlers
- How to Catch a Star Activities
- 5 Activities that go with books
- Developing a Love of Reading
Affiliate links included