The thought of your baby choking is one of the most worrying things for a parent. Do you know how to stop a baby from choking, if you ever found yourself in this situation?
St John’s Ambulance shared that over 40% of the parents they spoke to have witnessed their own baby choke and when they quizzed them on the first aid, they found that almost four-fifths don’t know what to do in this situation. That is pretty scary! To help the information stick into parents minds, they have made a short video, complete with celebrity voices.
How to stop a baby from choking
If your baby is choking:
- Lay them face down on your thigh
- Give up to 5 back blows
- If that doesn’t work, turn them over and give up to 5 chest thrusts – until the airway is clear
- If that still doesn’t work, call an ambulance.
To find out more watch the Chokeables video here, or visit the campaign page
As the video says, please share with your friends. You never know when this information could be vital, and even save a babies life.
As a thanks for taking the time to watch the video and spread awareness about how to stop a baby from choking, St John’s Ambulance wanted to give one of you the chance to win a universal compact first aid kit. You can see the first aid kit here and for your chance to win, enter via the Rafflecopter below:
Contents of the first aid kit:
- First Aid In An Emergency Booklet – 2014
- Washproof plasters assorted-pk10
- St John Ambulance no.16 eye pad first aid dressing – sterile
- St John Ambulance disposable triangular bandage, 90 x 90 x 130cm – non-sterile
- St John Ambulance medium first aid dressing, 12 x 12cm – sterile
- HSE SJA Branded 18cm x 18cm – sterile
- Sterile cleansing wipe-single
- St John Ambulance nitrile powder-free gloves – pair
- Eye Wash Phials 20ml – Single
- St John Ambulance Face Shield – Single
- Microporous tape, 1.25cm x 10m – single
- Burnshield® Burn Blott sachet, 3.5ml – single
- Green plastic splinter remover