I love Mexican food, and I also love convenience and finding ways to make things easy, so I am quite a fan of Old El Paso. Recently we were sent a selection of their range to try out at home and see how we got on.
The range included:
- Original Beef Tacos Meal Kit
- Extra Mild Super Tasty One Pan Rice Meal
- Chilli & Garlic One Pan Rice Meal
- Roasted Tomato & Pepper Fajita Meal Kit
- Fiery Jalapeno & Tomato Casserole Recipe Mix
- Warming Paprika & Herbs Casserole Recipe Mix
- Squeezy Sweet Corn Relish (these two are not pictured – I had put them in the cupboard already so accidently missed them out)
- Squeezy Zesty Red Jalapeno Relish
I started off with the extra mild one pan rice meal. I have tried some of the other extra mild products from Old El Paso before, and love that they make Mexican food suitable and accessible for even the youngest family members, without any children complaining that the food is too hot or spicy.
To make the One Pan Mexican Rice you will just need the Old El Paso kit plus some onions, sweetcorn and peppers, along with some chicken – although that is optional if you prefer to make a vegetarian version (replace by adding extra sweetcorn, red kidney beans or tomatoes)
Method: How to make one pan Mexican Rice
- Slice the chicken breast, peppers, and onion into medium sized chunks
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and stir fry the chicken over high heat until browned
- Add the vegetable chunks and sweetcorn, stir well and leave to cook for 2 minutes
- Add the seasoned rice and give it a good stir for 1 minute
- Add the contents of the sauce pouch (creamy lime sauce) and spice mix (also included in the Old El Paso kit) and 350ml water to the pan and stir well
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a medium heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes stirring gently from time to time.
Serve and enjoy!
The beef tacos were also really popular with the kids, I don’t have any pictures as they were eaten quickly! My boys love the movie Turbo so having tacos like Dos Bros Tacos in Turbo was fun for them. I should buy this for them again!
The fajita kits are also really handy for the whole family. Because these kits are so easy and quick to use, they are great at lunch time as well as dinner. A fajita makes a lovely warm lunch for Mr R and makes a change from just plain old sandwiches.
The tomato and jalapeno pepper fajitas are a little spicy, so I think the extra mild one is best for the children whereas the spicy one is great for me and their dad.
All of the Old El Paso products are really handy to have in the cupboard, allowing you to get a quick and tasty meal ready with no fuss. Although they are convenient to make they are all made with your freshly added vegetables and meat so I feel they do make a nutricious enough meal.
Find out more and see the whole range at www.oldelpaso.co.uk
feature image jambalya Shutterstock