Summer is well and truly here. When you have little ones, what better way to keep them entertained and cool than heading for the water.
Bristol and the surrounding area boasts a decent selection of water activities but some are a little further afield and lesser known, so we have rounded them up for you in one handy list.
We all love a walk along the harbour, but on a hot day the kiddies want somewhere they can jump in and splash around.
Pack your sun cream and swim kit and read on….
Are you looking for Splash parks in Bristol, Beaches near Bristol, Best Swimming Pools for Kids in Bristol, Water sports in Bristol… whatever you have got your eye on, we’ve got you covered!
Splash parks and playgrounds with water play: free and low cost options
- Millennium Square fountains
- St Andrews Park
- Cribs Causeway summer beach – free pop up event for the summer
- Hengrove adventure playground – this is a fantastic playground with lots of play equipment for all ages, sand play and also water play though a word of warning the water is not always turned on
- Water adventure play on Weston sea front – Weston is a great day out for the kids. Team this splash park with a ride on the big wheel, play on the beach and a visit to the grand pier
- Mundy Playing Fields, Thornburg
- John Coles splash Chippenham
- Victoria Park Cardiff
- Farmington’s farm park slip n slide
Full family days out which include water play areas
- Noah’s Ark Zoo Farm
- Bristol Zoo
- Slimbridge wetland centre has a wonderful water play area called Welly boot land
- Cattle Country – warning, the water play is not always turned on
Outdoor Swimming in Bristol
- Clevedon marine lake – this is great for serious swimmers and tots alike with the main lake and a shallow area for young ones
- Brean splash – outdoor splash opens 28th May 2022, indoor is open all year round
- Cotswolds water park – This outdoor water park based around a lake has swimming, boat rides, water inflatable courses for older ones, SUP and water sports, so many activities
- Warleigh Weir
- Cheltenham lido
- Clifton lido – children are allowed at certain times of day only so check and plan you trip accordingly
- Greenbank lido, Street
- Shepton mallet outdoor pool
Water sports in the Bristol Area
- The wave
- Discoverpaddling (kayaking) at Saul Junction age 8+
- SUP Bristol at the harbour (stand up paddle boarding)
- Wave centre Cardiff
- Aqua park Cardiff for age 8+
- Splashdown quay West, Paignton, Devon
River Paddling Near Bristol
- Blaise Castle Estate
- Nightgale Valley
- Dawsons Walk Woods
- Snuff Mills
- Usk, south Wales
- Lacock Abbey
- Barton Farm, Bradford on Avon
Beaches within around an hour of Bristol
- Sand bay
- St Audries bay
- Dunraven bay
- Barry island
- Whitmore bay
- Rest bay
- Ogmore beach, vale of Glamorgan
- Southern down , vale of Glamorgan
- Uphill beach Weston
If you want to strike out even further then Devon, Dorset and Wales have an abundance of fantastic coastal spots a little further away that make a fantastic day out or even weekend trip.
Indoor Swimming Pools Near Bristol
If you still want to head for the water but the weather has let you down, these pools have slides and fun for kids.
Taking the kids to the indoor pool is a great way to keep active and entertained all year round, and is a great option for half terms and weekends too.
Check out some of our favourite Bristol swimming pools
- Portishead Parish Wharf leisure centre
- Bath leisure centre
- Cardiff International pool
- Brean splash mentioned above has an indoor fun pool in addition to the outdoor offering
Of course there are all the usual Bristol swimming pools as well, such as
- Longwell Green,
- Jubilee (Knowle)
- Backwell Leisure Centre
- Dean Lane swimming pool
- Horfield Leisure Centre.
If we’ve missed your favourite Bristol water play area, drop us a comment and let us know, so that other Bristol parents can check it out and enjoy with the kids.
More for Kids in Bristol
We have some more lists to help keep your kids entertained in Bristol and the surrounding areas, all year round.
- Best Places for Kids and Families to Cycle in and around Bristol
- The 5 Best Pumpkin Picking Locations in Bristol
- Christmas Activities in Bristol
Water Play at Home
Don’t have energy to go out and about, bring the water play home.Nerf Water Gun Fun Paddling Pool For Kids Water Play Table
Please share this list with your local Bristol friends and family!
Feel free to post in Facebook groups or share via WhatsApp. We appreciate all shares and this enables us to keep providing more lists and content for everyone. Thanks so much