Netflix is a well used, reliable favourite in our house. I’ve written before about how our family uses Netflix and over the holiday season, it definitely proves it’s worth.
In the cold winter evenings there is really not much better than snuggling up on the sofa to watch a movie with the kids, or to settle down for a marathon box set watching session after they are in bed! It’s a great way for our family to relax and spend some quality time together. After busy and activity packed days, this is a great way to provide that value down-time that we really need!
Since our wider family are into watching movies and boxsets too, when we get together I always find myself swapping recommendations with my sister, brothers, mum and dad about what we have been watching on Netflix recently and what they really really need to watch!
So here’s our guide to Netflix for this holiday season:
Netflix viewing for kids this holiday season:
- Monsters Inc. Somehow we have not seen this yet! And it’s been recently added to the Netflix library so this is a definite on our list for a family movie night
- Toy Story 3. This is a classic! It’s become a traditional thing to watch Toy Story at Christmas, and we love Lotso so Toy Story 3 is really a must watch.
- Brave. We love Merida. What’s not to love about a fiery Scottish Disney princess!
- The Land Before Time. I loved this as a kid! I think it’s about time I introduced my kids to this classic dinosaur movie.
- Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas. My younger boys are big fans of Mickey so this is a fun one to bring in a bit of festive atmosphere
If you want more family Christmas movies, there are lots more on Netflix too like Santa Paws, All I Want for Christmas, Christmas Bunny and How the Toys Saved Christmas. The great thing about Netflix is that you can browse around all the related content and find movies you didn’t even know about!
Netflix viewing for the grown ups this holiday season:
Since Christmas is a time to get together, we love to gather round and watch something great in the evenings when we have family staying over – preferably with a mince pie to accompany our viewing! These are some of the movies and shows we’ll be watching this year.
- Hunger Games Catching Fire. We’ve just been to see Mockingjay part 1 in the cinema and loved it. I think the older movies are going to need to be re-watched this Christmas!
- Person of Interest. I’ve been recommending this to my family (after we were recommended this show by some other relatives) and they’ve just started watching it. We can get through 3 or 4 episodes at a time, it’s great!
- Outnumbered Christmas Specials. Outnumbered is always great for some light entertainment. We don’t watch a lot of sitcoms but outnumbered is always funny
- Chocolat – This was a great movie that all of our family enjoyed when it came out. Christmas is always a good time to bring back some of the classic movies, and chocolat would be perfect while we are enjoying some of our Christmas chocolate!
- Homeland – We love the twists and turns in this story. I have some Homeland to catch up on so I’m looking forward to taking time to relax over Christmas and watch it in bulk.
Want more recommendations? Check our previous list here
To see more about how we use Netflix in our home, and all the great features take a minute to watch this video of me and Mr R
What is on your must-watch list for holiday viewing? Let me know in the comments 🙂
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network Research Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet. I have not paid for the product or to attend an event. I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity
Image credit: Television remote control Shutterstock