I’ve enjoyed using HelloFresh recipes boxes from time to time, to take the thinking out of meal planning and cooking. They are such a good idea! But did you know, that in addition to getting the HelloFresh recipe boxes, you can actually access tonnes of recipes on their website?
One of the things I really like about the boxes is that it can give you the opportunity to try something new, and make a recipe you haven’t cooked before.
This Plantain curry recipe from the HelloFresh site looks delicious, and is definitely something I will try making. I absolutely love plantain but for some reason have not tried cooking it myself. We have some family friends from Sierra Leone who make an amazing plantain dish and send it to us each Ramadan. We enjoy it so much, it really is about time I tried cooking some plantain myself!
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need…
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced and deseeded
- 1 red chilli, (scotch bonnet is preferred)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 plantains, sliced
- 200g black-eyed beans, tinned and strained
- 200g chickpeas, tinned and strained
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 6 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coconut Oil, for frying
And the simple step by step from HelloFresh, with only four steps there shouldn’t be much to go wrong!
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil into a large pot on medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon and stir slightly, then allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Now add in the thyme, peppers, chopped tomatoes and plantain and stir into the other ingredients. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in your stock, black eyed beans, sliced chillies and the juice of a lime. Now turn down the heat to very low and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve with steaming hot basmati rice.
Recipe credit: HelloFresh
I will definitely give it a try! Do you like plantain and have you cooked it before? Take a look through the HelloFresh recipes and see what else catches your eye!