The classic book Dinosaur Roar by Paul Stickland and Henrietta Stickland is celebrating 20 years this year, and to celebrate a brand new Dinosaur Roar app has been launched to compliment the book. Dinosaurs are timeless favourites with little ones and my boys have really been enjoying the app and book, particularly Mr R who is 2.
The new Dinosaur Roar app from Immediate Media Co features three activities:
- Read: Your child can listen to the book being read to them, or read it themselves.
- Colour: There are lots of different dinosaurs to enjoy colouring in
- Name: Type in your child’s name and it is transformed into a different dinosaur name every time you shake the device.
The app is beautifully illustrated and stays really true to the book. Mr R loved the colouring in the best.
I like the rainbow crayon function in the colouring which is a little different than other colouring apps, it allows the child to get a multicoloured effect similar to the real illustration of that dinosaur.
The storytelling part of the app is also great to encourage reading on the go. The Dinosaur Roar story is a simple rhyming story with short phrases on each page. It’s perfect for Mr R’s level at two years old and gives us lots of opportunity to point to different things in the picture and spot different things. Mr R is a big fan of dinosaurs, and enjoyed pointing at the scary dinosaurs and showing me the little dinosaurs who must be scared. He thought the big ones are going to eat them!
To celebrate the 20th anniversary there is also a special edition copy of the book available from Random House. I prefer a paper copy for quiet times like bed time or nap time, and the app version is perfect for on the go.
You can download the Dinosaur Roar app here on the app store. It’s £1.99 and works on both iPad and iPhone.
If your little one loves dinosaurs like Mr R, then you might want to enter this amazing competition to find the fiercest roar!
Dinosaur Roar! App – Nation’s Fiercest Roar!
To celebrate the launch of the brand new Dinosaur Roar! App, we’re looking for the nation’s fiercest roar. Parents everywhere can enter their child to win an iPad Mini, lots of Dinosaur Roar! goodies, and the chance to feature on the app. Parents simply have to record a short video of their child letting out a ferocious dinosaur roar, and share the clip with us for their chance to win. We’re looking for the loudest, squeakiest, fiercest, grumpiest, longest, dinosaur, as judged by Paul Stickland, so keep an eye out!
Here is Mr R’s roar!
How to enter:
- On Facebook
- Either send videos via Direct Message, or post on our wall at facebook.com/dinosaurroar
- On Twitter
- Post videos and tag @DinosaurRoar
- By email
- Send videos to [email protected]
Terms and conditions:
- Competition closing date: 7th June 2014
- Available to UK entrants only.
- Prize: 1 x iPad Mini (WiFi only), 1 x Dinosaur Roar! bag, 1 x Jumbo Floor Puzzle, 1 x 4-in-1 Puzzle, 1 x Memory Card Game, recording session for winning child to feature on next App update
Immediate Media Co is the promoter of the competition. In The Playroom is not involved in the administration or running of the competition, I am simply sharing this with my readers.
For more on children’s books, follow my Pinterest board!
Follow Anna – In The Playroom’s board Children’s Books on Pinterest.
This is a collaborative board. If you would like to join drop me a message to discuss.