Today we have a beautiful personalised photo Christmas tree ornament craft to share with you all, from the Christmas Craft Book by Laura Minter and Tia Williams.
This craft is easy and fun to make, making use of left over wrapping paper for a gorgeous upcycled ornament for your Christmas tree.
As these Christmas tree decorations feature your child’s photograph, they will also make a lovely handmade gift for relatives – Grandparents will particularly love them!
They will make a cute keepsake to hang up on the tree year after year.
Wrapping Paper Photo Frames
These personalized photo-frame ornaments are a great keepsake to hang on the tree each year. They use scraps of wrapping paper and cardboard so are a great way to use up materials that would otherwise go to waste.
You will need the following craft supplies for this project
- Corrugated card
- Craft glue
- Scraps of wrapping paper
- Wooden skewer
- Glue stick
- Sparkly pipe cleaners
How to make your festive wrapping paper photo ornaments
- Choose what shape you would like your ornament to be. You can use the star or snowflake templates (see pages 138 and 141) or design your own. Just make sure you stick to shapes with straight edges. Draw your shape onto corrugated card and cut it out, making sure it is slightly bigger than your photograph.
2. Trim your photo so that it fits in the middle of your card base with roughly ½in (1cm) around the edge. Glue into place.
3. To make your wrapping paper beads, cut your wrapping paper into evenly sized scraps. These ones measured 5½ x 5½in (14 x 14cm). Begin rolling your scrap a couple of times around a wooden skewer then add a line of glue to prevent it from unravelling. Continue rolling tightly and add another line of glue at the end to seal. Take the bead off the skewer and leave to dry. You will need around 8–12 beads for each ornament.
4. Trim the beads to fit around the outer edges of the card shapes and glue in place. Cut the ends of each bead at an angle if necessary so they fit together nicely.
5. Repeat this so you have two or three rows of beads.
6. Glue sparkly pipe cleaners around the inner rim of the frame. You can make a bow shape from pipe cleaners for the square frame to resemble a present. Embellish further if you like.
7. Fold a pipe cleaner in half and glue onto the back of your ornament to make a hanging loop.
You can use these template shapes to help you make this craft more easily.
Snowflake Craft Template
Reindeer Antlers and Star Craft Template
Download the PDF templates via the download links below.
These PDF also include a few more templates that you can use for other Christmas crafts.
Template for the snowflake shape bottom right
Template for the star shape in the middle
Craft Credit: Christmas Craft Book by Laura Minter & Tia Williams, GMC Publications, RRP £14.99, available online and from all good bookshops.
Be sure to check out the book, it has 30 fun Christmas crafts inside with so many great ideas. We can’t wait to make all of them!
If you like these wrapping paper Christmas ornaments please feel free to share this blog post with friends and family, or pin to your Pinterest boards. Thanks so much!