Life can be pretty hectic, and some days you just need to be able to get your kids’ dinner on the table as quickly as possible with the minimum of fuss. But coming up with quick, easy and nutritious meals that all the family will enjoy isn’t always easy. Especially if you live with some picky eaters.
To help you, we’ve put together five tasty and healthy kids’ meals that you can get to the table in just 10 minutes.
Naan bread pizza and salad
This is a great recipe for a quick meal and even the fussiest eater can find a topping they’ll love. You can also swap a plain naan for a garlic, or even Peshwari naan to make your pizzas even tastier. This recipe is ideal for vegetarians but you can use whichever toppings you like.
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 x plain naan bread
- ½ red onion
- ¼ red pepper
- ¼ yellow pepper
- ½ 200g tin sweetcorn
- 75g grated cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Tomato sauce: mix the tomato puree with 2 tablespoons of water and the Italian seasoning. Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Toppings: peel and slice the onion, deseed and slice the peppers, drain the sweetcorn and grate the cheese.
- Place the naan breads on an oven tray.
- Divide the tomato sauce between the naan breads and spread over to cover them.
- Sprinkle over the vegetable toppings and finish with the grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.
Chicken goujons wrapped in Parma ham with mashed potato
Chicken works wonderfully with salty Parma ham and served on a bed of creamy mashed potato from McCain, it provides a delicious meal for the whole family. This recipe will make around 15 tasty goujons in just over 10 minutes.
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
- 7 slices of Parma ham
- 2 tsp honey
- 200g crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp fresh green pesto
- Lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- McCain Mashed Potato
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and grease a baking tray.
- Put the chicken breasts on a board and cover them with cling film. Using a rolling pin, bash them until they are thinner.
- Remove the cling film and slice each breast into seven strips.
- Cut each slice of Parma ham in half. Wrap each goujon in a piece of ham, then place on the baking tray.
- Drizzle over the honey, then roast the chicken slices for 10 minutes, until cooked and crisp.
- Mix the crème fraiche, pesto and lemon juice together and season.
- Serve with steamed greens and McCain Mashed Potato.
Speedy spaghetti bolognese
Spaghetti bolognese is a family favourite in most households and can be ready to serve in 10 minutes. You can even add some chopped carrots to give your kids some extra veggies and top with cheese and fresh basil.
- Soy sauce
- 2 spring onions
- 20g basil
- 80g grated cheese
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 400g tomato puree
- Beef stock cube
- 220g spaghetti
- 160g chestnut mushrooms
- 500g beef mince
- Roasted garlic paste
- Heat a drizzle of vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan over high heat.
- Trim and chop the spring onions.
- Once the pan is hot, add the beef mince and cook for 3-4 min.
- Add the spaghetti to a saucepan of boiling water and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook for 6-7 minutes until cooked.
- Drain the spaghetti and return to the saucepan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Crumble the beef stock cube into the pan and add the chestnut mushrooms, torn, spring onion, roasted garlic paste and dried oregano.
- Now add the tomato puree with 100ml of water and a good splash of soy sauce. Bring to the boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, cook for 2-3 min or until the sauce has thickened and the mince is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve the spaghetti and beef bolognese onto plates and top with grated cheese and basil leaves.
If your children like a bit of spice, then this is a great recipe to try. If you have more time then marinade the chicken pieces in the sauce overnight for extra flavour. But if you are short on time then you can still make this dish in just 10 minutes. Serve with rice, chips or garlic bread.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 spring onions
- 1 chilli
- Basil leaves, chopped
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips
- Heat the oil in a small pan and gently fry the chicken pieces for a few minutes.
- Put the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk it all together.
- Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken and warm through, increasing the heat until its simmering
- Remove from the heat and serve with rice or lentils and a crisp green salad.
Tasty tuna pasta
While this is a healthy, tasty and speedy meal to prepare it’s also a great way to use some of your store cupboard staples. Serve with a fresh salad or just eat it on its own, this is a kid-friendly dish that everyone will enjoy.
- 1 jar of tuna in olive oil
- 1 large bunch of flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red chilli
- Pepper and some salt
- Put your pasta in a large, salted pan of boiling water and cook until tender
- Put the tuna in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients and blend to a paste, slowing adding oil from the jar of tuna until you have a smooth sauce
- Drain the pasta but keep a small cup of the cooking water
- Add the sauce to the pasta and stir, while adding some of the pasta cooking water.
Being short on time doesn’t mean your meals have to be short on flavour. With these five meal ideas, you can serve your family tasty and nutritious meals that will keep the whole family happy.