If feeling inspired by GBBO try making this set of four small Raspberry Frangipane Tarts from Bonne Maman The Seasonal Cookbook. With recipes developed, tried and tested by baking expert Moyra Fraser there should be no ‘soggy bottoms’.
175g (6 oz) plain flour, plus extra
75g (3 oz) butter
25g (1 oz) caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp almond extract
For the filling:
175g (6 oz) Bonne Maman
2 large free-range eggs
150g (5oz) mascarpone cheese
75g (3oz) caster sugar
50g (2 oz) ground almonds
25g (1 oz) flaked almonds
1 tbsp icing sugar, to dust
1 x 200ml tub crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan oven 180°C), gas mark 6.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, butter, caster sugar and egg yolk into a food processor or blender and pulse until it reaches the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Place 3 tablespoons water in a cup and stir in the almond extract. With the motor running, add enough water, a little at a time, until the mixture just begins to form a dough. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and line 4 x 12 cm (5 inch) ceramic flan dishes. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and refrigerate until needed.
- Bake the pastry cases blind in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, until cooked and golden brown.
- To assemble the tarts, spread the conserve over the base of the pastry cases. Separate the eggs and mix together the egg yolks, mascarpone, sugar and ground almonds. Whisk the whites in a clean, dry bowl to stiff peaks and fold into the mascarpone mixture. Pour this over the raspberry bases and top with the flaked almonds.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (fan oven 160°C), gas mark 4 and bake the tarts for about 15-25 minutes.
- The Tarts are cooked when the tops have risen a little and the mixture is set and golden. Lightly dust with icing sugar and serve warm with a dollop of crème fraîche.
- The tarts can be made up to 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container. Warm in a low oven for 10 minutes before serving.
Bonne Maman the Seasonal Cookbook is available from WH Smiths and independent book retailers nationwide as well as online. RRP £14.99 paperback.
Click the cover to see and buy on Amazon
For more recipes make sure to follow our Kitchen, Baking and Cooking board on Pinterest
Pin for later