Here’s another delicious chocolatey recipe to mark “National Baking Week”, this time using avocados along with Cadbury’s Double Decker chocolate bars, to create yummy rocky road to share with all the family. The price of avocados is set to increase, so why not make the most of them now? Baking with Avocado is also a clever way to sneak some extra greens into your kid food!
Avocado Rocky Road (makes 20)
For the Brownie:
- 110g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g caster sugar
- 10g cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 avocado, mashed well
For the Cocoa-avocado Frosting:
- 1 avocado
- 100g cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 150g honey
- 150g maple syrup pinch of salt
- 2 Double Deckers
- Freeze-dried raspberry
- 10g rice krispies
How to make Double Decker Avocado Rocky Road
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (160 degrees fan). Grease the baking tin well with cooking spray
2. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler with two inches level of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl must not touch the water). You may use a microwave to melt the chocolate in 10 second bursts and stirring in between till melted. Set aside.
3. Place sugar and eggs in the stand mixer bowl and whisk on medium speed till light and fluffy for approx. 5 minutes
4. Stir the cocoa, almonds, vanilla and avocado into the melted chocolate and then add the mixture to the eggs and sugar and whisk till you reach a smooth batter
5. Pour batter into the greased tin and smooth over to level. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. Let cool completely in the tin before releasing and cutting into 20 squares
7. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blix, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to combine well. Mix till smooth and glossy
8. Chop the Double Deckers and melt over a double boiler, stirring well. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and transfer the melted Double Decker mix into the middle. Place another parchment paper over the mix and flatten with a rolling pin to 1-2mm thickness. Place in fridge to set.
9. Prepare a piping bag with a small closed star tip and fill it with the frosting. Pipe the frosting along the edges of each brownie square with even pressure and flood into the middle.
10. Break off shards from the set Double Decker brittle and place a few atop each brownie. Sprinkle over raspberry powder and crushed rice krispies.
This recipe is: Suitable for Vegetarians / Contains gluten (wheat), milk, nuts, egg, soya. /Does NOT contain gelatin or alcohol.