Every new year, we’re always keen to make a fresh start and for me a big part of that is to declutter the house, make more space and give everything a thorough deep clean too. Last year on New Year’s Day itself we gathered together a big pile of un-needed items from our home and gave them all away on Gumtree. This year we’ve been making numerous trips to the charity shop too, and I’m hoping to keep up with a more minimalist life this year!
There are plenty of ways you can make changes in your home to give the impression of more space too, and give a cleaner, fresher, uncluttered look.
Having light coloured walls, and plenty of natural light coming into the home can make a really big difference. I love the look of these bi fold doors from Everest Home Improvements, which allow you to create a seem less flow from your indoor living area, out to the garden. This would be so nice especially in the summer.
Of course carefully planned storage is a big help in giving the decluttered look too. It’s not always realistic to get rid of everything, especially with a house full of kids, but having it tidily hidden away, out of the eye’s gaze can definitely make a big difference. I’ve made some simple changes to our hall way, adding a new bench with storage baskets that hold all of the kids shoes, book bags and swimming bags and means that we no longer have so much clutter in that area. Since that’s the first thing you see when you come into the home, it’s a big improvement.
Next on my list is a thorough clear out of all of our wardrobes. I like the KonMari method of asking “does it bring you joy?” and if not, it’s got to go! I’m sure this will make loads more space, and ultimately boost all of our moods – as I often find that too much clutter brings me down.
Enter via the Gleam widget below for your chance to be the lucky winner of the £100 John Lewis Voucher. Good luck!
Giveaway Terms and Conditions
- There is 1 prize of £100 John Lewis vouchers. The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of In The Playroom and Everest Home Improvements
- Closing date for entries is 15th February 23:59
- Entrants must log into Gleam and complete the entry methods
- Optional entry methods are to follow on twitter, facebook and tweet on twitter
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries
- The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond with a postal address within 28 days or a new winner will be chosen
- The winner’s name will be available on request
- The prize will be sent within 28 days of receiving the winner’s address
- This is a joint promotion between In The Playroom and Everest Home Improvements. Prize will be fulfilled by Everest Home Improvements, not In The Playroom
- Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions