Blue Monday is supposedly the most depressing day of the year, and collectively we’re all starting to crave carbs and comfort food to boost our moods! According to research, most people are opting for the chocolate – which is no surprise. Second on the list comes pizza, which I can totally understand too.
Making a simple pizza at home can give you the food you crave, with lower calories than their takeaway equivalents and they taste so good when served hot, straight from your own oven. Kids also love to get involved in making the pizza dough and spreading out their own toppings.
This pizza fiorentina recipe is great, since it also gives you an egg on top – which is well known for it’s nutritious and energy boosting properties.
500g Waitrose LOVE Life wholemeal bread mix
400g essential Waitrose spinach
½ x 680g jar Waitrose passata with onion & garlic
125g essential Waitrose Italian light mozzarella, drained and very thinly sliced
Olive oil spray
250g bag mixed salad, to serve
The ingredient quantities above serve 4 – multiply as required to feed a bigger family.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
1. Heat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Keeping a little aside for kneading, tip the bread mix into a large bowl and add 320ml water at room temperature. Bring together to make a soft dough. Knead for 5 minutes, then divide equally into four balls.
2. Lightly dust the surface with the reserved bread mix and roll the balls out into four 18-20cm rounds. Transfer to two large non-stick baking trays, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, wash the spinach well and cook in a large pan or microwave for a minute or so, until wilted. Squeeze out the excess water.
4. Spread the passata over the pizza bases and arrange the spinach on top, leaving a space in the centre of each for the egg. Scatter the mozzarella over the spinach, then crack an egg into the centre of each pizza.
5. Lightly spritz the pizzas with olive oil spray, then bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are browned and the eggs are set. Serve straightaway with the salad.
Using their research on Blue Monday cravings, Waitrose.com has created a ‘Brighter New Year’ page with a selection of healthy and colourful recipes packed with a variety of different nutrients to help you feel good about yourself, so do check it out for some more healthy recipes ideas.
And of course, don’t forget to follow our own healthy food board on Pinterest!