This Raspberry Ombre Cake makes a perfect celebration cake for any occasion. The ombre trend is in fashion now and this raspberry cake does it beautifully!
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 35-40 minutes
Oven Temp: 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4
For the Vanilla Cake
250g Stork with butter
250g caster sugar
1 tsps. vanilla extract
4 eggs, large
250g self-raising flour
For the Icing
200g Stork with Butter
400g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g frozen raspberries
125g fresh raspberries
½ jar of raspberry jam
Ombre Cake Method:
1. Grease and line the bases of 2 x 8” cake tins. Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
2. Cream together the Stork and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract..
3. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour and fold in until well blended.
4. Divide the cake mixture between the 2 tins and bake in the oven for 35-40minutes until golden on top and springy to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Level the tops of the two cakes using a sharp serrated knife. Set onto a serving plate or cake board and sandwich together with the jam.
6. Prepare the icing beating together the Stork, icing sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
7. Using a palette knife coat the top of the cake with the plain icing. Start on the sides using the plain vanilla icing to coat the top quarter of the sides of the cake.
8. Divide the remaining Stork icing into 3 bowls. Add spoonfuls of raspberry puree to each portion to create 3 graduating shades from light to dark.
9. Use the raspberry icing in order from lightest to darkest to coat the next quarter down the sides of the cake until the sides are fully coated.
10. Run a palette knife around the sides to slightly blend and texture the ombre Stork icing and the top of the cake.
11. Decorate with the fresh raspberries and serve.
More Cake Recipes
Take a look at all of our kids birthday cake decorating ideas here or check out our Pinterest board for even more
Recipe and image credit: Stork with Butter